Monday, August 11, 2008

Wigs and gowns

Friday 8th: This afternoon, while sipping my cappuccino in a delightful outdoor café, a number of barristers headed up the street to the law courts. Shades of a former existence. I much preferred my outfit of shorts and tee-shirt to their hot wigs and gowns. Then I remembered that the coroner’s report into the disappearance of the three men aboard the catamaran Kaz II in April last year was due to be handed down and they were off to hear his findings. The coroner found the deaths were caused by a freak accident when one of the crew had attempted to free a fishing line from the yacht's propeller and fell in the ocean. Another crew member fell in trying to rescue him and the skipper was then knocked over by the sail (boom) trying to get to the other two men. Once in the water, it had been impossible for the three men to get back to the yacht due to the conditions. I now have a new rule on Breakaway – no fishing while underway. Besides, what if we caught a fish? I would then have to work out how to clean and fillet it.

No comments: